Most people prefer camping on the ground but if truth be told, traditional camping tents present a number of challenges such as uneven surfaces, mud, and crawling insects. Your camping experience can suddenly turn into a nightmare should the ground become muddy. Ants and other crawling insects may also decide to share your accommodation, much to your discomfort. In such a scenario, a camping hammock tent is your best option. Unlike conventional tents, a hammock tent is usually suspended off the ground between two trees or stands. The suspended tent gives you a simple and unique camping experience.
Table of Contents
- 1 Advantages of Hammock Camping
- 2 How to Choose a Hammock
- 3 Recommended Hammock Tent Products
- 3.1 Camping Hammock Comparison Table
- 3.2 Top Pick – Double Hammock Everest Bug and Mosquito Hammock Tent
- 3.3 Best Value for Money – UBOWAY Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net
- 3.4 Most Budget-Friendly – COVACURE Lightweight Portable Double Parachute Hammock
- 3.5 Best Under $100 Hammock Tent – Patent Camping Hammock Tent With Rainfly Cover and Mosquito Net
Advantages of Hammock Camping
One of the major advantages of hammock tents is that unlike normal tents, you don’t need an open spot or flat surface to set up the hammock. All you need is two strong trees to tie your hammock tent to.
Hammock tents also provide safe accommodation: free from rainwater, wild animals, and insects. The tents are quite comfortable. They give you a gentle rocking motion away from the hard ground. The solitude and peace you get in a cozy suspended tent can be quite pleasant. If you are a camper who doesn’t like leaving visible camping traces or footprint on the ground, a hammock tent is your best option.
How to Choose a Hammock
Hammock Tent Styles
Hammock tents come in different styles and designs. The most common type is the gathered-end asymmetric hammock. This style of hammock tents is wide at the center and designed in an asymmetric shape that resembles a banana. The bridge hammock is another popular style. This one has the ends attached to a camping hammock spreader bar that holds the hammock in a flat open shape.
Gathered-end hammocks have a simpler, lightweight, and more compact design than bridge hammocks. Bridge hammocks have the advantage of being less constrictive and roomier than gathered-end hammock tents. If you find the curved banana-style shape uncomfortable, then go for a bridge hammock. You can also look for a good camping hammock book to find out more about different styles and designs.
Key Factors to Consider When Shopping for the Best Camping Hammock Tent
Hammock camping has become quite popular today but finding the right hammock is always a major headache for most people. The market is full of different camping hammock brands. There are several factors you need to consider when shopping for a hammock tent such as your body size, the type of camping trip you plan to take, and the environment you’ll be camping in. You don’t just pick the first item you come across in a camping hammock sale. If you are planning to go hammock camping in Florida, you’ll need a tent that’s different from the one used by someone on a hammock camping Appalachian Trail adventure. Here are some of the key things to look for when shopping for the best hammock tent.
Size is a critical factor when shopping for a hammock tent. You don’t want a small or short hammock that you can fit in. And if the hammock is too wide or long, it may wrap around you a little too tight. If you plan to share the hammock with another person, then your best option is to get a large camping hammock 2-person tent. There are hammocks for couples, tall people, short fellows, heavy folks, and even for young campers. The size of hammock you choose will depend on your body size and if you’ll be using it alone or with another person.
How much does it weigh?
Hammock tents are popular with backpackers and hikers who travel long distances on foot. The weight of the hammock is, therefore, another important factor to consider. There are many ultra-light hammock tents on the market with fewer features to cut down the weight. Most hammocks weigh around 7 ounces or less when the bug net is not detached. However, with additional suspension weight, the package could weigh as much as 15 ounces. Make sure to add the extra weight of the bug net, rainfly, cords, and other additional hardware pieces to get a good idea of the weight of the entire package.
What is the weight capacity of the hammock tent?
It is also important to check the recommended weight capacity limit of the hammock tent before you buy one. For example, a hammock tent meant for one person will not hold two people. The hammock has a maximum amount of weight that it can safely handle. Loading it with excessive weight can result in injury and reduce its durability. The maximum supported weight is usually indicated in the camping hammock Walmart or Amazon product listing. A heavy duty hammock is recommended for those who plan to be lounging more often.
The type of fabric used
Hammocks are either made of cotton or nylon fabrics. A cotton hammock is great for lounging since it provides more comfort and better relaxation than one made of nylon. The nylon type, on the other hand, is waterproof and lighter than a cotton hammock. Nylon hammocks are also highly durable and will last for years. Most camping hammock tips and tricks experts recommend nylon hammock tents.
The suspension system
You need a sturdy hammock suspension system to lounge safely and comfortably wherever you are. The suspension system must be equipped with a reliably strong pair of carabineers. Some hammock tents have webbing straps and others use synthetic tree slings for suspension. If you go for one with a webbing strap, make sure it is wider than 0.75 inches. A hammock with several attachment points provides easier adjustment. When searching for the best camping hammock for sale, take note of the suspension system used in the hammocks.
Nylon hammocks are lightweight and will keep you cool on hot summer days. However, if you are camping during fall or winter months, you’ll need a warm hammock with insulation accessories such as a camping hammock underquilt and sleeping pads to keep off the cold.
Check if it comes with camping hammock accessories. Your camping hammock gear list should include the following:
- A bug net to keep away annoying insects. Some hammock tents come with a bug net attached or incorporated in its design.
- A camping hammock rainfly to keep the hammock dry when it rains. A camping hammock with canopy will keep you dry when it rains. Check the dimensions of the rainfly to ensure that it provides sufficient cover.
- A stuff sack to store the hammock when not in use.
Recommended Hammock Tent Products
It may seem difficult to get a perfect hammock tent based on the factors discussed above but with thorough research and evaluation, you can get one that suits your needs and preferences. To save you the trouble of researching and testing different models, we have reviewed some of the best camping hammock tent products on the market today based on the above mentioned hammock camping essentials. Here are our top recommendations for different quality and budget demands.
Camping Hammock Comparison Table
|Double Hammock Everest||UBOWAY Camping Hammock||COVACURE Lightweight Hammock||Patent Camping Hammock|
|Color||Woodland khaki and black net||Green||Brown||Yellow|
|Material||Nylon||70D Nylon Taffeta||210T Nylon||Nylon|
|Size||120 x 72 in.||106 x 55 in.||107 x 33.6 in.||106 x 55 in.|
|Weight||3.09 lbs.||3.3 lbs.||1.05 lbs.||3.5 lbs.|
|Weight Supported||400 lbs.||440 lbs.||440 lbs.||440 lbs.|
Top Pick – Double Hammock Everest Bug and Mosquito Hammock Tent
Price: Check on Amazon
Color: Woodland khaki and black net
Size: 10×6 feet Double Duo Swing
Weight: 3.09 pounds
Weight supported: 400 pounds
- The complete Yosemite pack comes with Tree Saver Straps, 10 feet long reinforced polyester filament webbing, and triple stitch tack bars set 3 inches apart to securely hold a load of up to 400 pounds.
- Comes with 2 lightweight aluminum carabineers
- Heavy grade netting, compression camping hammock straps, and net rope
- Quick dry diamond weave taffeta parachute nylon fabric in a color that blends perfectly with nature
- Amply sized at 10×6 feet 2-person hammock tent
- Heavy duty camping hammock bug net to keep you safe from insect bites
- A fully reversible hammock that comes with full setup instructions
- Rainfly sold separately
This is an amply sized double camping hammock with stand that comes with an integrated bug or mosquito net. It is strong enough to hold a load of up to 400 pounds. The Everest Double Hammock is also lightweight and spacious enough to keep two people comfortably relaxed in their camping trip. It is the perfect addition to your next hiking or camping trip.
- Spacious 2-person tent
- Comes with a heavy duty mosquito net
- Has a large internal storage pocket
- Strong suspension system
- It has an easy camping hammock setup process
- Comes with a full instruction manual
- Its aluminum carabineers are strong and lightweight
- Gives comfortable swing while relaxing in the great outdoors
- The rainfly is sold separately
Q. What material is the suspension rope?
A. It is made of strong nylon
Q. What is the maximum amount of weight it can hold?
A. It can support weight of up to 400 pounds
Q. What color is the mosquito net?
A. The mosquito net is black while the fabric is in beautiful woodland khaki color that blends perfectly with nature. <
The Everest Double camping hammock with mosquito net is a great option for couples who want to camp together in a relaxed comfortable style. It comes with a strong suspension system to hold the both of you securely without fear of falls and injuries. All you need to do is just wrap, snap everything into place and swing. It is a great addition to your winter hammock camping gear. For additional protection from rain and moisture, get the separately sold rainfly too.
Best Value for Money – UBOWAY Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net
Price: Check on Amazon
Material: 70D Nylon Taffeta and aluminum alloy
Size: 106×55 inches
Weight: 3.3 pounds
Weight supported: 440 pounds
- Comes with a bug-proof net made of translucent mesh to keep away mosquitoes, fleas, and other insects
- Has a large rainfly to keep you dry when it pours while you are out camping
- The waterproof cover provides protection from sunburn too
- Easy to set up
- It is super-lightweight at just 3.3 pounds and easily portable for camping
- Comes with a compact storage sack with everything you need for easy hanging
- Strong enough to support weight of up to 440 pounds. It’s a comfortable 2-person hammock tent.
- Made of durable 70D nylon taffeta parachute fabric that’s soft, breathable, and tough
- Comes with top grade accessories such as aluminum alloy poles, buckles, and tree straps
- Provides enough space between the hammock and the rainfly for better air circulation and comfort.
- Has a double zipper for easy and convenient access
The Uboway hammock tent is a lightweight, compact, and multifunctional hammock that can be used as a hammock, a camping tent, or sleeping bag for all your outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and jungle expeditions. It can be used indoors too. It comes with a detachable rain cover and mosquito net. The hanging buckle is made of strong but lightweight 7KN aluminum alloy.
- Large spacious hammock tent
- Strong enough to hold two people or maximum weight of 440 pounds
- Easily portable and lightweight
- Available in beautiful green or orange colors that blend well with nature
- Comes with a waterproof rain cover and a mosquito net
- Versatile hammock that’s perfect for relaxing in the backyard, campgrounds, traveling, and other outdoor activities
- The fabric dries quickly
- Comes with a storage carry bag and a setup instruction manual
- Great hammock but you’ll still need a moisture pad for the ground for the best results.
- It is costlier than other hammocks but does provide great value for money.
Q. Can it withstand monthly Boy Scout camping demands?
A. This is a tough durable hammock that will not tear or wear after a few uses. It is made to last.
Q. Can it sleep two people comfortably?
A. The hammock can hold two people but for the most relaxing experience, use it as a 1-person hammock tent.
Q. Is it hard to set up?
A. You can set it up easily in a few minutes. It even comes with an instructions manual.
The UBOWAY Hammock Tent is the perfect choice for someone interested in a versatile hammock tent. It’s made of soft, lightweight, breathable, and durable nylon fabric. This is one of the best gift ideas for a parent or friend who loves spending time outdoors. It is no wonder this product is highly rated among camping enthusiasts.
Most Budget-Friendly – COVACURE Lightweight Portable Double Parachute Hammock
Price: Check on Amazon
Material: 210T Nylon
Size: 8.91 by 2.8 feet
Weight supported: 440 pounds
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Spacious and strong enough to hold weight of up 440 pounds
- Comes with Nautical Rope and wide Carabineers
- Comes with a mosquito net to keep away bugs and insects
- Dust-free and insect-proof
- The hammock is made of soft, comfortable, and strong woven 210T Nylon. The fabric is breathable and triple stitched for strength and durability. Keeps you comfortable all day and night.
- Quick-drying fabric
- It is extremely easy to set up and can be packed into a small package inside the stuff sack provided.
- Comes with a 6-month money-back guarantee.
The COVACURE is a lightweight double parachute camping hammock with rainfly designed for both indoor and outdoor camping. It is a great accessory to carry along for your hiking backpacking, backyard, and travel adventures. It can conveniently be stored in a stuff sack to create a lightweight package. It just takes a few minutes to set up and even comes with a full instructions manual. For its price, this is one of the most budget-friendly hammock tents you can ever find with all the necessary features.
- It’s compact and lightweight
- Comes with a mosquito net attached
- Strong and wide suspension straps
- Quick drying and breathable 201T woven nylon fabric
- Strong and comfortable
- Good price
- Has a 6-month warranty
- May not be comfortable for someone over 6 feet tall
Q. How much does the entire pack weigh?
A. The whole package weighs around 1 pound
Q. How long are the tree straps?
A. The two tree straps are 3 feet long. Each has one loop on both ends. You can even replace the straps with longer ones if you so wish.
This is a high-quality and well-balanced hammock tent made of comfortable, extremely breathable nylon fabric. It is a great option for hot summers. It is spacious enough to fit two people. It is lightweight and easy to set up. You’ll also like the fact that it comes with a mosquito net to keep the pesky bugs and insects at bay. You don’t have to be mosquito dinner simply because you enjoy the great outdoors. Best of all, it comes with a more affordable price tag.
Best Under $100 Hammock Tent – Patent Camping Hammock Tent With Rainfly Cover and Mosquito Net
Price: Check on Amazon
Size: 106×55 inches
Weight: 3.5 pounds
Weight supported: 440 pounds
- A comfortable hammock with a mosquito net to keep bugs and insects away
- Comes with a waterproof rain cover to keep you dry and safe from rain and fog-water
- Has two strong tree straps for easy setup
- Comes with two metal poles to hold the net
- It has 2 ropes and 2 stakes that help to prevent the hammock from turning over
- Comes with 4 Carabineers, two for the hammock and the other two to hold the rainfly cover.
- Comes with a handy zipper carrying bag for easy portability
- It’s a lightweight hammock weighing just 3.5 pounds for the entire set. The hammock alone weighs around 2 pounds.
- It has three inside hooks for hanging stuff or a small light.
- It is a safe and comfy swing for babies too. You won’t have to worry about baby toppling over in this hammock.
- It is strong and capable of holding weight of up to 440 pounds
- It can be used by two people comfortably
The Patent Camping Hammock is a multipurpose hammock tent designed to meet both indoor and outdoor sleeping needs. It comes with a waterproof rain fly cover to keep you dry when it rains and a mosquito net to keep the bugs away. It is strong and spacious enough to sleep two people. It is also made of high-quality breathable nylon fabric material. This is one of the most comfortable, functional, and durable hammock tents on the market today.
- Extremely lightweight at just 3.5 pounds complete with all accessories. Easy to carry in your backpacking trips.
- Comes with a rainfly and mosquito net
- Can hold weight of up to 440 pounds
- Strong tree attachment and suspension straps
- It has three handy hooks that you can use to hold a lantern or other stuff
- Can be used safely as a swing for the baby
- The rain cover doesn’t stretch very tight
Q. Is it big enough for a person weighing 250 pounds and over 6 feet tall?
A. Yes, it is big enough to fit two people comfortably
Q. What is the furthest distance you can stretch the hammock between two trees?
A. It can be stretched to a distance of 15 feet.
This multipurpose hammock tent is lightweight and portable. It is ideal for backpackers, campers, hikers, and even for relaxation at your home’s backyard. All you need are just two trees or a camping hammock stand. It is easy to set up and strong enough to hold two people.
Hopefully by now you found a camping hammock that suits your needs. If that’s not the case, don’t worry – we got you. Check out our reviews of the best 4 person tents and the best cold weather tents. If you still need help, please leave a comment, I will do my best to help you find a hammock tent that meets your expectations.